Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Good Soldier - Notes 22 - GOAL ACHIEVED - Submitted to Sundance

Let's go back to November, 2008 when I posted this. At that time this was nothing more than an idea. That's it. An idea. I came up with this wild idea to write and produce a film with the ultimate goal of submitting it to Sundance by the deadline for the 2010 exhibition. Yesterday, that goal became a reality when the film was received by Sundance on the final day for short film submissions.

The amount of money I spent pursuing this dream was nothing compared to what I gained from the experience. This was my film school.

People ask me, "Where did you come up with the idea to make a movie?" I don't know how to answer this. It's always been there. It's just something that I have always wanted to do. Those of you who are climbers understand this drive in terms of climbing: what makes you want to climb? It's just desire. What more can explain it?

I learned more about the process of filmmaking, creating, directing, and cinematography than I have in all of the books and articles I've read and classes/seminars I've attended. There is no education like experience.

I have to thank everyone that has so generously dedicated their time, their resources, their advice, their insight, their knowledge and their energy into this project. I am indebted to you all and look forward to helping you with your creative endeavors. I sincerely thank you - you deserve an enormous amount of credit for everything you've done and I hope that, in some way, this film, this experience, is a means to propel you in the direction of your own goals.

For those of you out there considering making your own movie - either in film or video (I've made clear that there is a difference, right?) - I hope that this online journal has provided some idea of what the process is like. I know when I started searching online for information about the day-to-day activities that occur in the making of a film i found it difficult to find much online. Most sites and books cover the bigger picture of shooting a movie - and those are great, as well as necessary - but sometimes you want more on-the-ground nitty-gritty information about what it's really like and what you can expect. Undoubtedly, every project is going to be slightly different in terms of the experience - this was just my experience - but maybe knowing my experience will make it less like driving in fog when you head out on the road to make your own film (sorry for the corny metaphor).

All of that said....let's move on.
This is only the beginning. I want people to see this thing!

I'm working on more film festival submissions. And I'm working on securing music rights for a couple of songs in the film. After that is settled I will begin showing the film locally and (hopefully) some indie-distribution. My goal was never to make money on the film - but I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to pay myself back for my efforts! Plus, it could mean the chance to make another film. But let's not get ahead of ourselves....

No comments: